Friday, July 30, 2010

Two New Awards!


I recently received recognition from two of my fellow bloggers who I consider my online friends. I know some bloggers have award-free zones, which I guess means they don't display awards or just find it very time consuming, but I'm more than appreciative of the pat on the back, and will proudly display them somewhere on my blog. I guess the 'rules' do seem kind of silly, but it's all just a way for us to get to know each other, don't you think?
From Bernie at Old? Who Me? comes the Blog of Substance award. The only rule is that you pass it on to ten other bloggers. That's actually the hardest thing to do, as I can't think of many blogs that I've read over the last year that weren't blogs of substance, simply because they all are people like myself who are putting themselves, their thoughts, feelings and opinions, out there for all to see.

From Cheri at Cheri's Chatter comes the Versatile Blogger award. Cheri and I are new to each other, but I know her well enough to know that, besides being a fellow grandmother who dotes on her grandkids, she is a ray of sunshine. Seriously, you can almost hear her southern charm and positive attitude radiating from every sentence. The rule for this award (though I doubt they take it away from you if you don't follow the rules) is to give seven things about myself that you probably don't know about me. I've actually done this once before, so I hope I can think of a few more things. Oh, and pass it on to seven fellow bloggers who I consider 'versatile', which I guess means they write on a wide variety of topics.

I'm actually going to send BOTH of these awards on to the same people. Everyone I read deserves them, but if I have to name ten they would be: Annie at Quiet Commotion, Julie at Midlife Jobhunter, Lorna at Bathtime Blogger, Dinah at My Aimless Infatuation, Tim at Catnip, Suz at City Gal Moves to Oz, Michelle Rene at Must Be a Full Moon, Kobico at Mindless Meanderings of a Middle-Aged Maniac, Bernadette (Bernie) at On My Own, and Yaya at Whispering Pines. Forgive me for not linking to their blogs...I'm just lazy that way, and you can find them on my blog list. I also didn't check to see if they already have these awards, but that's ok as this is really about my personal recognition of them.

Ok, here goes:

1. I'm a time-waster of the highest order. I can find more things to do to waste time, and waste more time doing those things, than anyone I know. And when all is said and done, I've got nothing to show for the expenditure of that much time.

2. I have the lowest self-esteem of almost anyone I know. I don't know where it comes from, but I feel, and have felt for my entire life, that I am pretty much worthless except as a mother and grandmother. I'm one of those people who says to herself "can't you do anything right?", or "how fucking stupid can you be?", even if I just knock over a cup of coffee or forget to pay a bill. I realize that sending these negative messages to myself is a really bad habit, and I work on trying to change the way I talk to myself every day. Thanks for your urge to tell me I'm wonderful, but a person feels what a person feels no matter how irrational.

3. I'm addicted to crime shows, currently the Law and Orders, CSI, Bones, The Closer, and the new The Glades.
4. I've been watching General Hospital since I was pregnant with my daughter - 36 years. Even when I worked, I took a portable radio that had tv audio so that I could listen on those little earbuds. Almost every week I wonder why the hell I still watch it - but, I still watch it.

5. I've lived in Chicago Ill, Ft. Worth TX, Dallas TX, Denton TX, Alexandria VA, Dayton OH, Greeley, CO, Arvada CO, Loveland CO, Monroe GA, Eatonton GA, and now Rock Spring GA. Over a 62 year period.

6. In my lifetime I've owned 17 dogs (Brownie, Sleepy, Snookey, Chop Chop, Shaz, Grumpy, Gordon, Lulu, Nady, Toby, Chessie, Nady, Gracie, Charity, Molly, Eva Jean, Oliver) , 11 cats (Black Button, Kesch, Sugar Plum, Honey Bun, Blitzen, Clarisa/Clarence, Meg, Hazel, Hobo, Kitty, Tweety), 6 birds (Tweety, Micah, Spraddle, 3 cockatiels whose names escape me except for 'Bird'), 3 hamsters (Hercules, Squeeky, Pinky), multiple fish, 1 salamander, 3 rabbits (Dandy, Thumper, and another whose name escapes me), and 3 horses (Moon, Poco, and Lady). I have a collage frame in the hallway with all their photos.

7. I cuss like a sailer, especially when I'm mad, and when I'm mad I have a HUGE temper. No one suspects it of me as I'm soft spoken and shy, but when I blow it's big and LOUD. I'm also quick to apologize. Well, truth be told, I don't have to be mad to cuss. It's just an aspect of my verbal repertoire, as unflattering as it might be. I restrain myself in public or with certain people, and certainly around children, and it's very rare here on my blog as I don't like to offend people, but with family and friends it comes out.

Whew! That all took more time than I thought it would, but it was relatively painless. Thanks again for these awards, and I hope to continue to be deserving of them. And if I didn't give you an award but you'd like one or both of them to decorate your place, go ahead and take it and say it's from me - I'm sure you deserve them!

26 comments:

Bernie said...

Congratulations my friend on your awards....well deserved and thank you for thinking of me as well as the others you passed on too.
I enjoyed reading more about you, I think you should of said you were "very honest" and I had to smile when you spoke about your temper. I think you are pretty special.......:-) Hugs

Rosaria Williams said...

Congratulations, on both counts, and don't be so hard on yourself.

Jeanie said...

Congratulations on your awards. I hope the well deserved awards go a ways toward improving your self esteem. I enjoyed reading the things you wrote about yourself and I especially love that you cuss like a sailor.

yaya said...

Congrats and thanks at the same time! How sweet of you to think of me. It's funny that even though we've never met I feel like we're good buddies and I would be honored to listen to you swear like a sailor as long as it wasn't at me!

CHERI said...

Thank you SO much for the kind words about me!!!! And I confess...I do sound like the southerner that I am! We definitely have some things in common. I too can come to the end of a day and find myself asking "and what did you accomplish today?"...answer: not a darn thing!!! I can also identify with the low self-esteem thing. I am harder on myself than anybody ever could be. Congrats on your other award...you have a great blog!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Linda, and thank you.

I have been told more than once when I make mistakes and say something like "I'm such a dope!" that I should say instead something like "that was a dopey thing to do!" and yes, it is difficult to change thinking patterns. *big hugs*

Wow, you've lived in a lot of places and had a lot of pets!

Jules said...

Congrats on your awards. You are deserving. :)

Deb Shucka said...

Congrats on your well-deserved awards. It's really fun to learn more about you here. I love the listing of all your animals. I'm with you on crime shows - watched The Glades last night for the first time and really like it.

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Congrats Linda and thank you so much for thinking of me. We should get together and cuss ourselves sometime,lol,I'm bad about that too. I'm also a General Hospital addict,been watching since the beginning and you know I love love animals,I believe they have more sense than most people I meet.Have a great weekend.

Jerry said...

Yep -- you deserve the wonderful awards. I figure your not so much down on yourself so much as being in the habit of saying so. I can see from reading that your in control of stuff, even if it is more fun saying you aren't.

Hey. I'm your fan.

Gail said...

Congratulations! From what I have read, these are well deserved.

Wine and Words said...

Ah...my fellow potty mouth, esteem lacker, crime show watcher!!! So fun to find out our commonalities aside from the adoption thing. You think being given away has something to do with the self esteem issue?

Thank you for the awards. I am honored, but feel completely undeserving..."no matter how irrational" that sounds :)

Love
Annie

Timoteo said...

Thanks for thinking of me! And I like a gal who cusses...'cause then I know she won't be offended by ME!

Donna said...

Congrats on your awards!!! You are a marvelous blogger and it is fascinating to read your posts. I still think you have a book in you somewhere....

LoisW said...

Congratulations!!! This is a wonderful post. I truly enjoyed getting to know you through this post. Much deserved accolades!!!

MWebster said...

Congratulations on the awards! And thanks for the post - was glad to be able to "get to know you" a little more!

Ginger said...

I thought I was the number one time waster. I can waste a whole day and do nothing, especially if I am messing around on the computer.
I cuss too...but I try to watch my mouth around the grandkids, but everyone else is fair game.
I have a bad temper too, but quickly get over my anger after I make an ass out of myself. lol.
Congrats on the awards.

Rose said...

saw your blog and wanted to check it out. cong. on your award. i have 5 dogs and love animals. souds like you are an animal lover. rock springs, Ga is that toward Ringgold Ga? i live in Rome Ga. 72 mi. north of Atlanta. rose http://somewondersoflife.blogspot.com/

ethelmaepotter! said...

First, congratulations on your awards! I've read some of your recipients and agree that they deserve recognition.

Second, I love finding out details of my fellow bloggers' lives, and you have some great ones listed. How did you ever come to name a dog Chop Chop? And about soap operas - been there, done that. One of my earliest memories is of sitting in the den while Mama was ironing, watching Guiding Light. I think I must have been about 3 or 4, and I didn't stop watching til I was about 43 or 44! Addictive, they are.

Now, lastly, I want to talk to you about your low self esteem. You know I recently went through a period of extreme depression/anxiety/panic/etc. I found a therapist who helped me tremendously. I never knew I had such low self esteem until I had been seeing her for some time. Not that she TOLD me that, or even planted the idea - but the more you open up about yourself and get some guidance, the more you get to know yourself and the reasons you are who you are. You get to where you can figure things out on your own. So, when I discovered my self esteem was LOOOOWWWW, we talked about that at length, and she gave me some valuable advice and exercises to help me get back on the right track. I'm not trying to say I don't have my moments now, or that I have made huge leaps, but I no longer think of myself as worthless; I (for the most part) no longer feel I have to prove something or apologize to everyone I meet.

I know times are hard, and don't know if you have insurance to cover therapy, but if there's any way possible, I highly recommend it. My therapist has actually helped me change my life. For the better.

I wish I could give you some of the advice my therapist gave me, but it's all highly individualized and I wouldn't steer you wrong for anything in the world.

Love you, and just want you happy and emotionally healthy!

ethelmaepotter! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michele R said...

Linda, congrats on your awards and Thank You for mine! I always love reading additional deets about you. There should be a recording device in my car when I’m alone and someone pisses me off. The sailor language, oh my!
From what you’ve said about your adoptive mom and knowing in my head there were personality disorders the self-esteem issue is understandable. People like who you are and love you, remember that!

Girl Tornado said...

Woohoo, congrats on your awards, and wow, thanks so much for passing them on to little ole me. :) I've been so neglectful of my blog this summer, more so than last summer... life is way busier this year I guess. But I will give these awards their proper recognition before 2010 turns into 2011, LOL.

I enjoyed reading everyone else's comments here... sounds like we all have quite a few commonalities, huh?

Donna B. said...

Congratulations Linda on both your rewards. With all your talents, writing and dog knowledge, I admire you tremendously. I have no doubt you are an awesome mother and grandmother. I think anything you do, you do well. I think you feel you must do everything perfectly. Ease up on that kiddo, we are all in the same boat. I agree with Jerry. I think you are just used to saying it.

I have been so very behind in my blog reading and commenting. I just have been so tired. I find I am putting up more quotes because I am too tired to think!! Maybe I need to take a break....

Anyway, I too am a fan and appreciate your courage in writing so honestly.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Here's sendin' ya'll a big CONGRATULATIONS on your well deserved awards. Kudos to you!

WoW! You really have been everywhere haven't ya! Dang, you've lived everywhere and had a zoo of a pet list too!

The self esteem thing. There is not one of us who looks at ourself as others do but do me a favor and go look in the mirror. You are made in God's own image, true royalty...you ARE a child of the king and let me tell you God doesn't make junk! You are a beautiful talented woman. I know these things!

God bless ya and have a terrific day sweetie!!!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Thank you for thinking of me for these awards. Versatile? Does that mean all over the place? Certainly fits me.

I can't believe you cuss like a sailor. I think we should have a cussing match and see who wins.

Girl Tornado said...

Well, now see who is the bigger delinquent blog reader... ME! Thanks so much for the awards Linda... so very sweet of you. Sorry I found out about it this late, and please don't hate me if I don't get around to posting the awards on my blog. I've rec'd awards over the past year, and I just seems I never get around to posting them, although I have the best of intentions!! Really I do!

*hugs* girl! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. :)