Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bluebirds 2 : It's an egg! "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah"



Today's Musical Monday selection is Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, in honor of our first bluebird egg! (You know, "Mr. Bluebird's on my shoulder..."). Mama has probably laid another egg or two by now, as I checked it early Sunday a.m., and she's looked busy since then. This egg is about the size of the end of my thumb, and oh so delicate.

I had worried as I hadn't seen either of them for a day or two, thinking perhaps that a fierce wind we had on Friday had swung the bird house so violently that it had sent them packing. So when she showed up late Saturday afternoon, I sighed deeply and ... well, don't laugh or roll your eyes, but I actually got a lump in my throat and tear in my eye and said "oh, thank you for coming back, Mrs. Bluebird!". (Ok, so I'm getting a little too emotionally involved with this bird thing.) Also saw Mr. Bluebird swoop from some vantage point above and dive bomb a dove that was feeding beneath the bird house. I'm so proud of them both for hanging in there!


I love that I sang this song to Melody when she was little, our "isn't this a beautiful day" song, and now I sing it to and with the grandsons.


Hope you have a zip-a-dee-do-dah day! (Am I the only one who thought it was "zippity doo dah"?)

4 comments:

Lila (pronounced LEE-la) said...

Ah, I used to sing that to my daughter as well. And here's hoping your bluebirds have better luck than the two wren couples who nested in my hanging plants last year. The eggs hatched and a snake ate all the babies (it also came into my house). I had to keep telling myself that snake mamas have babies, too.

Lila (pronounced LEE-la) said...

BTW, you know my name, but I don't know yours. Can you share it?

*jean* said...

oo i'm glad you found my blog! i am soooo jealous you have an egg! LOL! our bluebirds reside on our property in northern WI so we don't know if they are there yet....hopefully, they will be! i love your photos!!

Ginger said...

What a gorgeous shade of blue that egg is. You sound like me. We had some birds build a nest in our patio and we watched every process. When the eggs hatched you could see the little birds waiting for mom to come and feed them. One day I looked and both babies had died. I was so upset.
I hope the egg hatches.