Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sad News


Around 12:00 this afternoon, my boxer, Eva Jean, found a snake in the back yard. I put Eva Jean up so she wouldn't get hurt, and I took this photo of it before he slithered away. When I let Eva Jean back out, she went to the same tree where she had originally found the snake, then to three of the other trees, and ran circles around them repeatedly, going from one to the other and back again. I figured the snake had been in all of these trees looking for baby birds.

Just a few minutes ago, at 3:00 pm, I opened the door of the bluebird house in the front yard ... and our baby bluebird is gone.

I had seen both mama and daddy last night, carrying food, so I know the baby was ok then.

Why didn't I kill that slithering son-of-a-bitch when I had the chance? Well, I don't know that one was the culprit, and another would have replaced it. But still, I would have felt better at this moment, because I am incredibly sad and mad as hell !

Sorry I got everyone's hopes up. Especially mine. I should have known better.

1 comment:

Lila (pronounced LEE-la) said...

I lost two nests full of baby wrens that had hatched in nests built in plants hanging on my porch in Asheville last year. I was sad, too, so I know how you're feeling. Just remember that snakes are also precious creatures who need to eat, and they never kill for sport or revenge. We could all take a lesson...