Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wednesday's Wander to theWayside

Whew! Sorry I'm late, but I had to stop for gas. Hope you haven't been waiting long ... hop in and let's have a quick drive down Hullender Hollow Drive. I looked at a house down this road when we were waiting to move here to Ringgold, Georgia, but it was no longer for sale when we finally were ready after our other house sold. I liked that all the houses were isolated from each other, and lots of trees between houses. Large yards and lots. There are a lot of "Hollow"s around here in the south! Many of the roads that look like roads are actually driveways to houses way behind the trees.

I love old mail boxes, don't you? I always wonder how much good news, bad news, letters from loved ones, bills, came to this address. And how old is this mail box, anyway?


This actually looks better in person - an old falling down wood fence with wild roses (I think). If you click to enlarge it you can see the flower - hmmm. May not be a rose.

You can't go down a road without finding these old buildings. I can't get enough of them! I just always wonder what their story is, what happened to the families, what kind of life they had.

I think it might have been an old chicken house. It was very low with doors at both ends.

This is too little to be much of anything - maybe a storage shed. No other buildings close by.

I don't know what they're trying to keep you from. There's only an overgrown lot.


Well, you knew I'd have to put in a cow, didn't you? I like that they always come closer and look you right in the eye. I wonder what they're thinking? I'm told they're as dumb as a fence post.

Thanks for the company! Meet you again next Wednesday. Maybe we'll go down a road that has something besides cows and old buildings. What would you like to see? Maybe we'll go to downtown Ringgold. Small town U.S.A. With lots of .. old houses!

(Ok, this is space perfectly. Let's see how many spaces that poltergeist throws in this time.)

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I typed you a nice long comment and had trouble with the word verification thingy. So I tried to post it again and now it's floating somewhere in cyber space. I'll try again and see if I can remember what I wrote.
That mailbox looks pretty old. I wonder if it's still in use. The sky in the background looks like you might be getting rain soon.
I laughed at the keep out sign. Keep out of what? The old fence with the flowers on it is cool looking. I like the old house and the old shed too. Out west if you found that, there would probably be homeless people taking it over.
I'm glad you stopped for gas so we didn't end up walking home. Now what time is lunch? lol.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"I always wonder how much good news, bad news, letters from loved ones, bills, came to this address."

Hmmm. That thought could provide a great deal of stories - like a great idea for a novel. Great pictures.